Elder Broadhead is serving a 24 month mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in Veracruz, Mexico. This blog will be a collection of his weekly emails and pictures for his family and friends to keep up on his mission experiences.

Monday, February 13, 2012

February 6th-13th, 2012

Que pasa familia!


It was really great to hear from everyone this week! Dad I did get your letter last week it just came after I sent my e-mail so there is no need to send duplicates unless you feel the need. Mom I was so glad to finally hear from you! I'll be honest I like the letters more than the packages and I think they are a bit cheaper to send! Also I'm not getting any slimmer with these packages haha and neither are all the Elders I share them with! Thanks though it's nice to know that you're thinking about me that much. It sounds like everything is going great at home, keep up the good work, I love hearing about it!


Well my spanish is really coming along. I finally feel like I can understand just about everything that is being said and I can communicate my feelings, and a lesson, a lot better now which in turn makes me a lot less frustrated and things just generally go better. One of our responsobilities in the zone is to take care of new elders when they arrive, and we got some this last week. It was pretty great to see how overwhelmed they were for the first couple of days and to think that that was me just a few weeks ago! Time is really going by sooo fast. I'm starting to wish it would slow down a little bit already. I had a close call where I thought I completely ripped by pants up the butt in front of a bunch of sisters. One of the things we do is slide down all the poles of the stairs to spice things up a little bit, and we have this weird technique where you put one leg on each side of the pole, lean back and squeeze your cheeks then slide down on your butt. It's a lot of fun but I went down an especially sticky/dirty pole and about halfway down I came to the conclusion that I had ripped my pants and when I got to the bottom all the elders said I did cause there was a line of dirt on my bum that looked like I tore the seam haha. So they all busted up (including the sisters) and I ran to the bathroom but discovered it was dirt and not a tear. Don't know why I told you this, just i think so you can know that we have a lot of fun and a lot of laughs here as well as working hard. This is just one of many hillarious stories. You might've had to be there though, idk.


I have really learned a lot this week so I'll just share a few of the things I think are most important. Last night for the devotional we watched Elder Bednar's address to the elders at the MTC just a few months ago on Christmas day. It was probably the most incredible talk I have ever heard. Do everything you can to get your hands on it, it is so amazing! The talk was on the character of Christ and how the atonement would not have even been possible if it weren't for the character of Christ. Elder Bednar summed up the His character basically by saying that at times during Christ's life when you and I would have turned inward and become self-centered and selfish, Christ turned outward in love, compassion, and service. He then gave several examples during Christ's life of how when Christ was at some of his lowest points He was still serving and loving others. This went along perfectly with another huge lesson that I learned this week which was that everything we do comes down to how much we love the Lord. Hermano Salisbury gave us this one and he said that anytime you are tempted, or want to make a bad decision, or be disobedient, just ask yourself if you love doing that more than you love the Lord. Hopefully we love the Lord more than we do the bad decisions. There is nothing that I wouldn't do for the Lord, and I try to think of this anytime I have a selfish thought or get bothered by another one of his servants. I'm really tring hard just to completely forget about my old self and let Christ shape, mold, and polish me into a completely new man. A representative of Jesus Christ. I have to try and be as Christ would be, and I'll tell ya it's not easy! I am trying my best though, and it is a life long process I'm just starting to constantly be improving my character to become more of the person He would want me to be. I'll hopefully never be the same. Studying OF Christ is more important than studying ABOUT Him.


Lo siento if this is boring but I'm just trying to tell you guys the most important things that I learn so we can all try and improve. It really doesn't matter what else I'm doing, just know that I'm fine and in the Lord's hands. I am learning so much from these great teachers and Elders. The Elders are great, I really love all of them especially my zone, district, roomates, and companion. By they way they all love your mustache dad haha. We can't wait to get to Mexico and we're donig everything we can to prepare for the people there. The restoration happened and the true gospel is on the earth. Tell everyone you can.

I love you all and hope you have a great week!

-Love, Elder Broadhead

No comments:

Post a Comment