Elder Broadhead is serving a 24 month mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in Veracruz, Mexico. This blog will be a collection of his weekly emails and pictures for his family and friends to keep up on his mission experiences.

Monday, April 23, 2012

April 16th-23rd, 2012


Hey Family,

What's up guys?? Thanks for all the letters, I love hearing from everyone and about what you've been up to. It sounds like there are a lot of good things going on in your lives, and a few downs (mostly pain related). Tell Grandma and Grandpa that I love them and think about and pray about them often. Sorry I forgot to tell you my flight information, I depart at 7:30 pm and so yeah I think I'll probably call you from the airport so be expecting that. I might even send an e-mail home that day too because the flight is so late. We'll just have to see. It's a straight shot to Veracruz and i get there at like 9:45. Then I have to go through all this other paperwork and stuff that will last about an hour or more at the airport. So it'll be a long night by the time I get to wherever I'll be staying haha. I'm soooo excited!! Feels like I've been trying to get there forever, which I have haha. And yeah I think we can skype for Mothers day, if they have computers in my area, so that'll be cool.
 
In answer to your questions mom, They give me some money every two weeks to buy food, they put it in the card of my district leader and then we go and get it out of the ATM. I'll get my own card in mexico so I don't have to do that. I do "cook" breakfast and lunch, but I don't do much cooking. I usually just try and eat really quick so I can spend the rest of the time studying spanish. So I don't do much cooking cause it takes too long. My apartment is not very new, and you can go to the temple every six months here in the Texas Dalls mission. My clothes and shoes are holding up fine, don't worry mom. Oh that reminds me I had a pretty gnarly bike crash this week but I lived to tell the tale. We usually ride on the street during the day, much to the dismay of the citizens here, but on the way home at night when it's dark we ride on the sidewalk cause our beater bikes don't have any lights or reflectors. Well for some reason in texas the telephone poles are right in the middle of the sidewalk, so I crashed trying to maneuver around one of those a little too quickly. I do like the bikes though, they help us do a lot more, a lot quicker.
 
Well it was a good week here in Texas. This week on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday we rented a booth at the Bazaar (which is like a mexican farmers market/mall) and that was interesting. We got to talk to a lot of people and hand out a ton of tarjetas and folletos. We also got a few good referrals from it. We have eight missionaries in the Casa Linda ward, so we just rotated shifts working at the booth. Elder Petersen and I did a three hour shift everyday. Saturday was the best cause it's the busiest.
I've been kind of sick of knocking doors, so we started going to the little Mexican supermarkets and contacting people that are coming into the store. It's been a lot more effective cause we don't waste any time walking in between houses and we don't waste time talking to white people hahah. So that has been good to change things up a little bit. The best way to do missionary work is through the members, so we try to build trust with the members by doing service for them and giving them lessons and then asking for refferals. I've realized that dropping investigators is difficult for me because it means that they are no longer going to be coming closer to christ like they should be. But if they aren't keeping commitments we can't continue to teach them. It's a heart breaker. Oh yeah, I got my first mission sunburn this week, it's starting to heat up here in Texas.
Well my last week in texas has a baptism this weekend! We're going to one of the baptisms in our district this next sunday night, that's going to be really cool. We have a lot of good investigators to teach this week that we're looking forward to as well. Should be a good final week.
 
I love you guys soo much and am thankful to have you in my life! thanks for everything that you do, keep it up!!
-Love Elder Broadhead

No comments:

Post a Comment